Internal funding opportunities are offered to the RU-N Community through various sources. Please see below for available opportunities.
If you are interested in any of the opportunities listed below and want to learn more please contact our RU-N Senior Grant Facilitator Joe Broderick.
Busch Biomedical Grant program (all Rutgers campuses): The Busch Biomedical Grant program is designed to enhance health-related research at the University and to strengthen the competitive position of faculty members who seek external research funds. Proposals for funding are solicited annually by ORED. Proposals will be reviewed by a panel of faculty representing different health-related disciplines as well as the various University campuses. Awards are made on the basis of Busch Grant funding priorities and scientific excellence.
- The Busch Biomedical Grant program will support research projects up to $40,000 total for up to 2 years.
Tuition Remission: Rutgers University – Newark Office of the Chancellor provides in-state tuition funding for PhD students supported by external research grant funding. To qualify for this funding:
- The external grant must fully cover the student’s stipend, benefits, and fees;
- The tuition refund is limited to the in-state level of tuition in the respective school;
- The student must be in good academic standing;
- The student’s registration (number of credits) will be verified before the approval is granted;
- The funds will be released after the add/drop date is in a given semester;
- The student’s current term bill must accompany the Tuition Refund form;
- A new request for tuition refund must be filled every semester.
Principal Investigators must secure external research grant funding to support in full the stipend and benefits for a PhD student and receive confirmation from their respective PhD Advisor, PI, and Dean. Eligible Principal Investigators may request from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research & Collaborations a tuition refund form.PhD students could receive up to 9 credit hours per semester.
Research Council (all Rutgers campuses): By means of small grants, the Research Council supports studies leading to significant outside funding and publication in all fields of learning represented in the University as well as for creative work in the arts. Applicants may request funds for a variety of research needs, such as equipment and supplies, research assistance, subvention for publication of scholarly books, and essential travel related to research– in short, funds to cover expenses directly related to research and other creative endeavors. Restrictions are specified in the guidelines.
- Applicants may request a maximum of $5,000 here.