Beckman Scholars Application Process
The application to the 2024 Beckman Scholar Program consists of following materials which must be submitted by the indicated deadlines:
- One page cover letter indicating the Mentors and projects of interest, as well as affirmation of the commitment to complete the full Summer-AY-Summer cycle if selected as a Beckman Scholar. In order to foster thoughtful selection, no more than 4 potential Mentors can be indicated.
- One page CV.
- Two page personal statement outlining the student’s interest in research, her/his academic journey, the readiness for and expectations of the BSP experience, as well as the plans for graduate study and future career.
- Current transcript (while the GPA will not be one of the primary metrics, the alignment of the completed coursework with the desired field of research will be considered).
- Materials 1,2, 3 and 4 should be submitted as a single PDF file to Ms. Brandi Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, March 8, 2024. Incomplete applications and applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- One confidential recommendation letter from faculty a member with whom the student took relevant classes and/or in whose laboratory she/he did research. The letter may come from the potential BSP Mentor if the applicant took classes or is doing research with the latter, however, this is not a general expectation. The confidential recommendation letter should be submitted by the writer directly to Ms. Brandi Williams at email@example.com no later than Monday, March 11, 2024.
Based on the above materials, the Committee will select 4-8 finalists. The Selections Committee will invite each of them to a 30-minute interview, which will include a brief presentation on an assigned research topic at a level accessible to an undergraduate student. The Selections Committee will rank the finalists and submit the names of 2 Beckman Scholars to the Senior Vice Chancellor for Research and the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. The Beckman Scholars will be notified of the award no later than the last week of March 2024.